Monday, November 15, 2010

Leisure

To me, “Leisure” is an activity that one does for his or her enjoyment.  The “down time” between working and studying for class is my leisure time.  I usually spend this time reading a book, messing around on the computer, or watching television.  Since I’ve been in Rome, I’ve observed the differences and similarities between how Americans and Italians spend their leisure time.  For our activity this week, we were to go to the Villa Borghese and look at Italian leisure, compared to our own.  I saw groups of friends jogging or riding bicycles together.  I saw couples of all ages strolling, hand in hand, through the park.  I watched as young lovers ducked out of sight from the main roads to share a few moments alone.  I sat in an Ancient Roman amphitheater and watched all of these things, while a large group of young children played a game of soccer below me.  I could think of no place in America where I would be able to see all of these things at once.  Italian leisure is definitely different from American leisure.   
In the United States, if one goes to a mall or other public area to observe culture, they would see Americans rushing to get into this store or that, or constantly texting or talking on their cell phones, or blocking out the world with their iPods.  More time is spent with friends via the computer than over a cup of coffee like here in Italy.  It seems that being in the company of others is important in Italy, while it is not in America.  Italians would rather make time to go out with friends than sit at home in front of the TV.  I’d say Italians are on to something, and Americans should definitely adopt this aspect of Italian lifestyle.
I believe that, after I return to the United States, what I do during my free time will definitely change.  I’d like to spend more time with friends than I have in the past.  I’d like to get outside more.  I think I should make my leisure time more productive, rather than focusing on just relaxing.  I hope to start exercising more, researching more about things that interest me, seeing more of the world.  I’d like to not spend so much time texting friends, and more time talking face-to-face.  “Leisure” doesn’t have to mean that I’m relaxing and doing nothing productive.  There are so many little things that I’ve started over the years and never finished.  Perhaps this will be the time to go back to them.   
Observing Italian leisure has showed me that my flawed idea of what free-time should be used for has been nothing more than wasting my life.  What am I really getting out of sitting in front of the TV for a few hours?  I could be doing so much more.  Once I return to the US, I hope to change how I’ve been spending my leisure time.  I believe that this will improve the opinion I have of myself and my life in general.

1 comment:

  1. Nick,

    I am glad that you are seeing a change in yourself, a good change I mean :) ... I totally agree with your comments about going to the mall and seeing everyone just texting thier friends. It's so annoying, but all I will say is that atleast in the US when people bump into you its becasue they were focuseing on thier text messages. Here in Italy, they see you and bump into you anyway :)

    ReplyDelete